* Request an extension
Extend your visa
You may be able to apply for an extension of your stay in the UK depending on the type of Tier 2 visa (in-house transfer).
Eligibility for a visa extension
You must have one of the following two types of Tier 2 (intercompany) visas:
- Long-term employee visa.
- Internship visa.
You must apply for an extension before your current visa expires.
You must also meet the following conditions:
- Your job must have changed and must be the same as the previous one issued in the UK for entry and residence.
- You are required to work for employers who have submitted your Certificate of Financial Support.
- You still have to get the “right salary”. If you are not sure, read the complete guide.
You must be based in the UK to renew your visa.
Your application must include all the dependents on your current visa. This includes children who have turned 18 during your stay. They must also submit a separate request.
How long can you stay?
The amount of time you can extend your stay depends on the type of your Tier 2 visa (intercompany transfer).
Long-term employee visa
Your stay can be extended for the shortest period of time:
- Time in your certificate of financial support plus 14 days
- Maximum time allowed for this category
- 5 years (9 years if you earn more than 120 120,000 a year)
If your main visa is less than 12 months (one year) you can extend your stay. You can only extend your visa for up to 12 months (one year).
You also have to pay 20 19.20 to get biometric information (fingerprints and photos) taken from you. After applying for the visa you will be told how to do it.
If your visa application is successful, you will receive a biometric residence permit.
How long does it take to apply for a visa extension?
Decisions are made according to the type of service as follows:
- If you use standard services, within 8 weeks after the date of your request.
- If you use priority services, within 10 working days after the date of your request.
- Within one working day if you use extraordinary priority services.
If the terms of your application are complicated, it will take longer, for example:
- If your supporting documents need to be verified.
- If you need to attend the interview.
- If you have personal and criminal circumstances (for example, if you have a criminal conviction).
You can apply for a visa extension before your visa expires and you will be able to stay in the UK until the visa extension is announced.