Freelance work permits in Canada
Any foreign national wishing to work in Canada must have a valid permit. For the vast majority of foreign nationals, this permit is issued in the form of a valid work permit. However, it should be noted that there are certain exemptions for work permit requirements
A work permit is a legal document that allows a foreign national to work while in Canada. A free work permit is a work permit that does not depend on an employer or a place. This means that a foreign national with a valid work permit may work for multiple employers in multiple locations across Canada. It should be noted that some freelance work permits may have other requirements or restrictions that must be met by foreign nationals. Freelance work permits are usually issued through the following immigration programs:
- Postgraduate Work Permits (PGWP)
- Canadian International Experience (IEC)
- Sponsorship of a customary spouse or partner within Canada
- Open Work Permits (BOWP)
Open labor licenses do not need to assess labor market impact.
Benefits of a Freelance Work Permit in Canada
Freelance work permits are highly regarded for the freedom they give their holders. While most work permits are tied to a specific employer, a free work permit allows a foreign national to work for any employer in Canada with the freedom to move from one place to another. By gaining work experience in Canada, many foreign nationals improve their eligibility for permanent residence in Canada. Because of their Canadian work experience, foreign nationals can exercise their eligibility in the following ways to obtain permanent residency:
- Express Entry
- Canadian Experienced Class (CEC)
- Federal Skilled Workforce (
- Federal Skilled Trading (FST)
- Provincial candidate programs (
- Quebec Immigration Programs
Even with a freelance work permit, foreign nationals are not allowed to accept jobs in the following categories:
- Employers who are not eligible for non-compliance with IRCC regulations
- Employers regularly offer striptease, erotic dance, escort or erotic massage services.
Who is eligible.
Foreign nationals may be eligible to apply for a free work permit under the following conditions:
- Spouses or customary partners of some temporary foreign labor force
- Spouses or customary partners of some international students
- Some international students have graduated from a designated program in Canada
- Applicants for permanent residency who have applied through the Spouse Support Process in Canada
- Some of the young workforce participating in programs offered through Canadian International Experience (IEC)
- Refugees, asylum seekers, protected persons and their family members
The exact eligibility requirements for the prerequisites and application procedure vary depending on which of the above conditions the foreign national meets.