(Apply as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative)
To apply for this type of visa, you must be outside the UK, and require long-term care from your parents, grandchildren, siblings, sons or daughters who are permanently resident in the UK.
To apply for this type of visa, you must be outside the UK, and need long-term care from your parents, grandchildren, siblings, sons or daughters who are permanently resident in the UK.
- Be a British citizen.
- Permanently reside in the UK (have “indefinite residence” or evidence of permanent residence).
- Have refugee status or humanitarian protection.
You must also prove all of the following:
- Because of your illness, disability, or age, you need long-term care to do your daily chores and household chores.
- The care you need is not available or you can not afford in the country where you live.
- The person you join in the UK can fund, equip and care for you for at least 5 years without asking for help from the government.
- You are 18 years old or older.
How long can you stay?
Your stay will be under the following conditions:
- If you are applying to join family members who are British or permanently resident in the UK, you can stay in the UK indefinitely – you do not need to extend or receive permanent residence.
- As long as your family members are living in the UK under asylum or humanitarian protection. You must apply for an extension or permanent residence with them.
How to obtain a visa
To apply for this type of visa, please first complete the relevant assessment form.
Your answers will be reviewed by our partners and if you are eligible to receive this type of visa, you will be notified of the next steps of this process by e-mail or phone.
You can also ask your questions at the bottom of this page. We will try to answer your questions as soon as possible.
Contact us for information about this type of visa or other items.
Apply for a visa to extend your stay
Apply online to extend your stay in the UK.