(Apply as a child)
If at least one of your parents is a permanent resident of the United Kingdom, you may be eligible for permanent residence
You were born in the UK
If you were born in the UK, you can obtain the same residence permit as your parents in one of the following ways:
- Add as a dependent to your parents’ next visa application.
- Act separately.
To apply for a visa separately, you need to know what kind of permit your parents have in the UK (“unlimited residence”).
You were born outside the UK
The possibility of applying for a visa depends on the age and manner of applying for your parents’ visa.
If you are under 18 years old
- Do not be married or live independently of your parents.
- Be financially secure without applying for a grant from the state budget.
One of your parents must also apply for a visa or apply for or renew their residence permit under one of the following headings:
- Your partner – and any other partner who has applied to join you – be your parents.
- Parents – You have absolute responsibility and custody.
If you are over 18 years old
Your parents can add you as a dependent on their visa application, or you can apply for a visa separately. You can apply for a visa only if you meet one of the following conditions:
- You received a residence permit in the UK (“unlimited residence”) when you were under 18 years of age under a family visa.
- You do not live independently.
For example, if you have left home, got married, or have children, you are living independently.
If your parents cannot add you to their visa application form and you are in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for personal residence in the UK (10 years).
How to apply for a visa
To apply for this type of visa, please first complete the relevant assessment form.
Your answers will be reviewed by our partners and if you are eligible to receive this type of visa, you will be notified of the next steps of this process by e-mail or phone.
You can also ask your questions at the bottom of this page. We will try to answer your questions as soon as possible.
Contact us for information about this type of visa or other items.