Rate this post

(Family visas:apply,extend or switch)

* Overview

*Apply for a visa as a partner or spouse

* Apply for a visa as a parent

*Apply for a visa as a child

*Applying for a visa as an adult coming to the UK to be cared for by relatives

* Apply for a visa based on your personal life

* Knowledge of English

* Provide proof of income


Family visas: Request, renew, or replace


You must have a family visa to stay with your family in the UK for more than 6 months.

If you are not in the UK

You can apply for a family visa to stay with family members, including the following:

  • Spouse or partner.
  • Fiance
  • Child
  • Parents
  • A relative who will take care of you for a long time.

If you are in the UK

If you are currently in the UK on a family visa, you can extend your stay with your family.

If you came to the UK with a different visa and you also have the conditions to obtain a family visa, you will be able to change your visa to one of the following:

  • Spouse or partner
  • Child
  • Parents

If you have lived in the UK for several years, it is possible for you to apply for residency in the UK depending on the circumstances.

When can you apply for, extend or change a visa?

You can renew or replace your current license at any time before it expires.

You must have lived in the UK for a certain period of time before you can qualify for permanent residence in the UK.

If you plan to extend your stay with your family on the original visa, keep in mind that only 28 days will be added to your previous visa.

How long does it take

Generally, a predetermined period of time will be decided as follows:

  • If you apply for a visa outside the UK, 12 weeks.
  • If you apply for a visa in the UK, you will receive a visa application within 8 working days, and if you use the High Priority Services.

If your visa application is complex, it will take longer to receive the decision result, for example:

  • You do not qualify for the minimum income.
  • You cannot prove your English.
  • You must attend the interview.
  • You have not provided all the required documents for the UK Home Office.
  • Do you have a criminal record or other personal circumstances that need to be investigated?

Get a visa application result faster

If you apply for this type of visa in the UK, you will be able to use the extra priority service by paying an extra pounds 610 and receive the result of your visa application within 1 working day.

If you come to the UK as an adult to be cared for, you will not be able to use the High Priority Services.

When can you not get a family visa?

In some cases, you may not be able to apply for, or replace, a family visa.

Your family members have a work visa or a student visa

If your family members are temporarily residing in the UK on a work or student visa, you (you) cannot apply for a family visa.

However, you can apply for a visa to stay in the UK as a dependent.

Do you have a tourist visa or other visa for 6 months or less?

To apply for a family visa under any of the following conditions, you must first leave the UK:

  • Your stay in the UK is for tourism.
  • Your current visa is for 6 months or less.

However, you can change your visa to a family visa if you meet the following conditions:

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments