*Apply for a visa as a child
Apply for a visa as a child
If at least one of your parents is a permanent resident of the United Kingdom, you may be eligible for permanent residence
You were born in the UK
If you were born in the UK, you can obtain the same residence permit as your parents in one of the following ways:
- Add as dependents to your parents’ next visa application.
- Act separately.
To apply for a visa separately, you need to know what kind of permit your parents have in the UK (“unlimited residence”).
You were born outside the UK
The possibility of applying for a visa depends on the age and how your parents apply for a visa.
If you are under 18 years old
- Do not get married or live independently of your parents.
- Be financially secure without asking for government grants and financial support.
One of your parents must also apply for a visa and apply for or renew their residence permit under one of the following headings:
- Your partner – and any other partner who has applied to join you – be your parents.
- Parents have absolute responsibility and custody of you.
If you are over 18 years old
Your parents can add you as a first-degree relative to your visa application, otherwise you can apply for your visa only under the following conditions:
- You received a UK residence permit (“unlimited residence”) when you were under 18 years of age on a family visa.
- You do not live independently.
If your parents cannot add you to their visa application form and you are in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for personal residence in the UK (10 years).
How to apply
To apply for this type of visa, please first complete the relevant assessment form.
Your answers will be reviewed by our partners and if you are eligible to receive this type of visa, you will be notified of the next steps of this process by e-mail or phone.
You can also ask your questions at the bottom of this page. We will try to answer your questions as soon as possible.
Contact us for information about this type of visa or other items.